Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

floating, hiking, learning

Have you ever had a "oh-my-goodness, I-erased-all-the-pictures-from-the-camera-before-downloading-them-onto-the-computer" scare? Well, that's what I had with this set. My heart sank to my ankles, but then my short term memory decided that it would kick in (after I broke out into a sweat) and remind me that I indeed did download them already. Close call. 
So this was our first overnight trip with the class. It was rather eventful. We stayed in a hostel for the first time ever, not too shabby; I was able to harass some sheep, also for the first time; we found some pretty ancient pottery pieces that we got to keep; visited the Mediterranean Sea and the Dead Sea; hiked and climbed a lot, and then did it again and again. 


 UGGS!!! Just kidding, kind of. The truth is, the closest I have ever gotten to a sheep is by wearing Uggs. Don't I sound like a complete city girl?  I was severely overjoyed when I saw this flock grazing 20 feet away from us, I simply had to touch one. But I couldn't get too close because they kept scooching away and I was slightly really terrified of the male sheep with the large horns, so I had to keep a safe distance:( 
 Me, excited? What makes you say that?

We visited Lachish (it is mentioned in the OT many many times) where a siege took place roughly in 701 BC. The professor said that hundreds of arrow heads were found here and that there were probably thousands still buried. With that said, the boys started to dig, no joke. 


 While they were looking for weapons, I found a handle to some clay pitcher. 


 The class



 Sometime during the hike, Sam got a hold of our camera and decided to do a photo shoot with and of himself. This is one of the images we discovered later on. 

Glorious view from above.

 These are the images one gets when others have had a long day of hiking, climbing, and too much sun. 



On top of that mountain stood one of Herod's great fortresses, Masada. Today it is one of Israel's "must-see" places. It was most gorgeous and with the absolute best view you could think of. Over looking a valley, the Dead Sea, and other mountains, this great fortress stood 1300 feet high. It, Masada, holds a great story that I will not go into, but highly encourage you to read up on it.  You can do that here or here.

 Floating in the Dead Sea. Did you know that the Dead Sea is the absolute lowest place on planet earth? It is nearly 1400 ft below sea level. 
 Don't we look silly? We had to prove that you can actually float, surely enough, you can:)
Those white puffs that look like sea coral are salt deposits, boy are they ever sharp! 


 At Qumran, the cave behind was one of the caves where they discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls. 



8 comments:

  1. I am speechless of the beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time out of your busy days to read and comment, highly appreciated:) But yes, this country, though small and very condensed, has so much beauty to marvel at. I hope that you will have the chance to come here and see it for yourself.

      Delete
  2. It's been our dream to visit Israel!
    Thank you so much for taking your time to update us on your trips. Keep the good work!
    Love you! And miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun post natash! can you please stash one of those sheeps for me? I think I'm already attached to them. I want to see this pottery that you speak of! I am super confused about the weather there. It seems more bipolar than minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the weather here is VERY much bipolar! Especially when you travel from one part of the country to another. You could go from 30 degrees, rainy, cold to 70 degrees, sunny, and hot-all this within a 30 minute ride.

      Delete
  4. Allison in the Wonderland :)March 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM

    NOW I totally see what you mean about a workout and getting some muscles in that tinny little body of yours lols. Yeaa I think this kind of exercise is better then any kind of workout possible!

    Wait, the salt deposits are sharp?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the salt is very sharp! Some people punctured the skin on their feet by walking on it.

      Delete
  5. Allison in the Wonderland :)March 31, 2012 at 4:42 AM

    hmmm well you should bring a little piece to me as a souvenir! yes? Yes.

    ReplyDelete